Newbie Slink install CDROM problem on old computer

Hello:

I have successfully installed and configured the base system of slink
(2.1r4) on a 486 machine with 24 meg.  The install program recognized and
installed debian from the (Creative Labs) ATAPI CDROM.

When I get to dselect to install packages, whether from a profile, selected
tasks, or individual packages, the program does recognize the CDROM.  I have
tried to mount the CDROM, but the mount command does not work and reports
the device is not recognized.  This continues to occur even after I have
manually added the CDROM to fstab (I don't know enough to know whether that
should help or not).  Dselect also asks for identification of the "block
device [ ]".  Nothing I type for an answer does anything except cause the
program to repeat the question and lock me in a loop I can't escape from.

I have run dmesg and it reports my CDROM has been probed as "hdh".
Answering "hdh" or "/dev/cdrom" or "dev/hdh" does nothing to help.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or any suggestions to
help.

Thanks and regards,

Andy