Re: pam/postgresql log entry

i misspoke -- it's not from the syslog, but the auth.log instead
(which makes sense, since it involves PAM)...

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> w trillich wrote:
>   >this shows up on occasion in my syslog:
>   >
>   >     May  5 12:48:15 server login[20080]: PAM pam_putenv:
>   >             delete non-existent entry; . /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
>   >
>   >just need a quickie pointer to how i can find out what that means,
>   >and if it's important (or if i can stop it).
>
> /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env is run in the shell of the user `postgres'
> to set the environment, and can be run by any other user who wants to
> use PostgreSQL.
>
> postgresql does not have any pam capability; I don't know what is going on
> there.  It seems to be associated with PAM-enabled logins; does the file
> /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env actually exist?  Who logged in at the time
> of this message?

% more /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
# postgresql debian package
#
# This section is supplied as part of the Debian package for PostgreSQL.
# It sets the environment for an ordinary user of PostgreSQL and should
# be executed by the .profile or equivalent for each user who is to
# run PostgreSQL.
#
# A suitable way might to include a reference to this file in
# /etc/environment:
#
#         . /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
#

. /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init

PGDATA=${POSTGRES_DATA:-/var/lib/postgres/data}
PGLIB=/usr/lib/postgresql/lib
PGACCESS_HOME=/usr/lib/postgresql/pgaccess

export PGLIB PGDATA PGACCESS_HOME

% cat /etc/environment
LANG=C
. /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env

%

the only person logged in, each time, is me. and each login
seens to generate one of these entries AT login (big surprise,
now that i think about it: "login" is quite clearly mentioned,
duh...).

maybe pam is griping about the environment file commands?

Their is five errers in this sentance.