debian linux installation

I am fairly new to the linux world, but I have been running Red Hat for a
couple of months with few problems.  I am trying to install the debian
release on a PIII-550 MHz for use a an Oracle database server.  I read the
instructions and cannot get the installation to complete properly.  I have
an operational system, but some basic tools such as pico are not installed
or I cannot find them.  Also the program to setup my x environment is
missing also.  I have all these features working fine on Red hat 6.0.  I
feel that I must be missing something during installation.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Ramon