Re: Networking - Linux gateway to internet for Mac

John Gould wrote:

> Hi Marshal,
>            I'm not much help on questions 1 or 3 but take a look at the
> book 'Linux Firewalls' published by New Riders. Tells you everything you
> need to know on setting up a Linux Firewall. Also see the Firewall HOWTO.
>
> HTH JohnG
>
> 32865e97b5342e762ab140e00f3da23b - Just 'Debian'
>
> On 6 May 2000, Marshal Wong wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone!
> >
> > I have a couple of questions.  (Of course I have a few questions.  Why else
> > would I be posting. :) )
> >
> > 1.  I'm networking together a iMac and my Linux box for a local
> >     network.  I've managed to get the two computers talking to each
> >     other now with netatalk and macgate.  I don't know how well they
> >     are talking to each other, but at least file sharing is
> >     happening.  What I'd like to do is to set the network up so that
> >     the Mac can use the linux box as a gateway to the internet.  We
> >     only have one phone line for the computer and the iMac doesn't
> >     have a phone out jack, so I can't daisy chain the modems
> >     together.  I'm a complete newbie at networking, so if someone
> >     could give me a run down on more or less what to do, or what
> >     manuals to read, I'd greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > 2.  Along the same lines, I'd like to harden the machine against the
> >     outside world a bit.  I know I probably should put up a firewall,
> >     but have no clue as to where to start.  Again any hints would be
> >     great.
> >
> > 3.  A bit off topic, but has anyone had any expriences installing
> >     GNU/Linux on IBM Aptivas?  Any show stoppers that I might have to know
> >     about?  I have to install GNU/Linux onto a professors computer
> >     Monday, and was just wondering how much patience to take along.  :)
> >
> > I think that's it for now.  Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Marshal
> >

> > --
There's a net-howto out there (-reading it myself!). I suppose
there would be a firewall-howto as well.
A search on AltaVista usually yields useful stuff (to me ;-)
or try this: www.linuxdoc.org/howto/
The only thing that can be weird about Aptivas is they're a
bit touchy with the ram. Never heard of any trouble regarding
Linux-inst.
Good Luck!
Vitux

--