weird nfs mount problem

I posted this before but didn't get a reply. Let me give it another
try and attempt to elaborate a bit more since I fail to solve this on
my own and I have no idea where to even look for the cause.

On a potato machine acting as a NFS client, I can't mount any NFS
volumes. The mount process just hangs and I have to kill it. While I
was looking around for the cause, I noticed some error messages that
show up in syslog when lockd is launched form /etc/init.d/nfs-common.
This is what happens every time I restart nfs-common:

May 8 16:55:30 minerva kernel: lockd_up: no pid, 2 users??
May 8 16:55:30 minerva kernel: SIG: sigpending lied
May 8 16:55:39 minerva /sbin/rpc.statd[9045]: Caught signal 15 [...]
# restarting
May 8 16:56:36 minerva kernel: lockd_up: no pid, 3 users??
May 8 16:56:36 minerva kernel: SIG: sigpending lied

...and so forth. The user count increases by one every time I restart
the daemon. When I stop nfs-common and try do to an NFS mount, the
mount process still hangs and the volume isn't mounted, but the server
claims the mount succeeded and if I run `showmount servername` the
client shows up in the list.

I browsed the man pages and docs related to NFS and didn't notice
anything obvious. I have to bad feeling that the information given
here is pretty chaotic, but I don't know how to track this down. On
another client running and the very same nfs package everything is
fine, so I assume this is not a problem on the server side.

This stuff used to "just work" when I installed nfs-common, put the
server volumes in /etc/fstab and added the client to the server's
/etc/hosts.allow. But not on this particular client.

I will gladly provide more information if neccessary, it's just that I
don't know where to search. TIA

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>