Network KDE Printing and Application Printing

Having installed Debian Linux on my system at work,
I'm interested in getting printouts.

I've read the HOWTO's for printing but have not had success so far.

I've modified my printcap file but when I go to check the queue, there's
nothing there.

I also had a friend mention that there is a difference in printing from
the KDE
interface and an application.  Namely he could print from  KDE  but not
from Netscape Mail or
Adobe and the like.

Could someone point me in the right direction on this as I haven't been
able to find anything
outlining the difference and how to configure linus so that network
printing will work in both
senarios.

Tony De Furia.