Re: unknown file appeared in home directory

Hi David,

David Karlin writes:

> $ file jzip39143D5C0850D1C
> jzip39143D5C0850D1C: Zip archive data, at least v1.0 to extract
>
> Okay, now I know what _type_ of file it is.  What would have put this
> here?

What's in the archive?  Maybe the contents will tell you what the
original name used to be.

Did netscape crash on you while you were dowloading some zip-archive?
Did unzip die on you for some reason or other?
Did you computer crash so you had to reboot?
Well, then again this file should be in the lost+found directory if it
has been slavaged by fsck...
Who is the owner of the file?  If it's not you, could this be a breach
in your system's securty?

Have fun -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the
forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom,
no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
Eat leaden death, demon...             -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)