Re: search engine for the Guide

On Fri, 5 May 2000, w trillich wrote:

> > > can't we have a filter script that yanks the source html and
> > > then inserts anchors as necessary, before sending it to
> > > the browser?
> >
> > No need to have a script -- I can generate the html with anchors in first
> > place. Unless you are talking about matched text highlighting.
>
> that too.
>
> but if you're gonna filter the html to hilite search terms here
> and there, you can also have it inject an anchor where it needs one.
>
> then we could maybe list various 'matches on this page' in a frame to
> the left, and have it scroll the right frame around to find the
> target text...? (not that i'm a fan of frames, but no need to
> blindly avoid them at all costs, either...)

Why CC to debian-user? I thought we are on the modperl list... Oh, well...

If you are going to develop such an engine of course that's the way to do
it. I was talking about a ready made htdig engine, and all it's missing is
more anchors to have anchors located closer to the matched text.

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide  http://perl.apache.org/guide
mailto:stas@stason.org  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org