Re: question about display lines long than the screen

hingwah wrote:
>     Recently I just change from using Redhat 6.0 to debian. I'm now
> using slink 2.1 + a few updates from the frozen directory..
>
>     When I try to use the "ps -aux" command, usually the lines is
> too long and the screen is not large enough to display the whole
> line.  In the times when I use Redhat 6.0 I can just solve it by
> "COLUMNS=200 ps-aux" (orginally COLUMNS=80), if the lines is too
> long it will wrapped to next lines.  However,I find that this don't
> work in debian.  I even can't see any COLUMNS or LINES defined in
> the enviroment variable....Any solution?

"COLUMNS=200 ps aux" will work for you after you upgrade your procps
package.  A quick look at the code shows that slink uses procps-1.2.9
which does not have support for COLUMNS or LINES; however, unstable
uses procps-2.0.6 which does support COLUMNS or LINES.

Paul Serice