question about display lines long than the screen

Hello all,
    Recently I just change from using Redhat 6.0 to debian. I'm now
using slink 2.1 +
a few updates from the frozen directory..
    When I try to use the "ps -aux" command,usually the lines is too
long and the screen
is not large enough to display the whole line.In the times when I use
Redhat 6.0 I can just
solve it by "COLUMNS=200 ps-aux" (orginally COLUMNS=80),if the lines is
too long
it will wrapped to next lines.However,I find that this don't work in
debian. I even can't see any COLUMNS or LINES defined
in the enviroment variable....Any solution?