Re: question about display lines long than the screen

> However,in the source code of ps, it should have some code that to retreive the COLUMN
> variable in the screen...maybe via a function in the glibc library.....
yes - this is quite sure.

> this won't be shell specific as ps can run in all shell..so is there any way to
> set the COLUMN and LINES without using the enviroment variable?
well - environment variables are not shell-specific. it is a feature
integrated in the linux kernel. however, the handling of the variables
might be different in different shells.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.