install problem; modules

I am attempting to install potato and get the following error when setting up the modules to install in the kernel:

           modprobe: Can't open /target/etc/modules.conf

I have done the following: (1) downloaded the contents of /main/disks-i386 to my harddrive; (2) created rescue.bin and root.bin diskettes; (3) rebooted and successfully started to installation process; (4) installed the base system (base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz) from my DOS partition.  At this point the installation program enters the modules setup process and I get the above error for all modules I try to install.

Thanks,
Dave

David B. Wilson
Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice
University of Maryland College Park
Room 2220 LeFrak Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-8235