Internal error installing recompiled kernel 2.2.14

I've recompiled and installed kernels before and haven't had this
problem. I downloaded the kernel source and headers debs for 2.2.14,
rebuilt and recompiled the kernel source without any errors, then did a
make dep. Next, found the *Custom* kernel in /usr/src, and tried to
install it with make-kpkg kernel_image. It came back with "Internal
Error: (boot) is not a directory" and stopped.

I'm stuck. Any idea where I went astray?

thanks,

Michael Heyes
still using 2.2.13