RE: KDE on Debian 2.2 Frozen (Potato)

Title: RE: KDE on Debian 2.2 Frozen (Potato)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul [mailto:pequilty@clear.net.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 3:51 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: KDE on Debian 2.2 Frozen (Potato)

I have try to install KDE on my Debian 2.2 system and fail, I first
tried the .deb files for ftp.kde.org but they are for debian slink.

Next I tried the RPMs of KDE this also failed with a heap of error.

So I downloaded the tarables of it and started compiling. So far have
not been able to get it to compile.

Anyone who has managed to get it install on Debian 2.2, can you please
give me a hand on trying to get it installed on my system.

Thanks
Paul

I forced it onto potato from the storm linux distro.  I did a nice dpkg -i --force-depends <kde-package-in-question>

This was done due to a broken dependency checker for libstdc++2.9 which should've been libstdc++ >= 2.9 Potato uses 2.10.  Many people have told me that 2.10 shouldn't work, and maybe I had stdc++2.9 installed from other sources, I recall trying to install it and it conflicted with 2.10 at the time... two weeks or so later after a new mirroring and a new CD-set I recall it went on in the oldlibs section just fine.  But on the system that didn't have it when I shoe-horned it in and manually vi'ed the status file so they wouldn't be kicked off at the next dselect... kfm and other kde apps worked just fine in Windowmaker on Potato... though they look goofy in Windowmaker.  All I need is a decent filemanager and Recycle-bin in Windowmaker and I'll have a complete environment... also WSoundserver needs to be built in to the environment rather than run separately.

Andrew
Epitaph for Bill Gates: "This man performed an illegal operation and was shut down" --BBC
SGI and Motorola team up to design a new chip... the Crayola --personal
Apple MacOS X the only UNIX where dumping cores is a good thing. --personal
Bastille Linux - You have to run your servers in headless mode.
Curses! Curses! Scrolled Again!