Re: Learning Linux

I originally came from the MS-DOS world to Linux using Matt Welsh's
"Linux Installation and Getting Started".  It is part of the Linux
Documantation Project, and hence, available at www.linuxdoc.org (click
"Guides", should be the first one listed).  Note this was back about 3 years ago
I read it.  It probably won't cover a Debian install, (since most distributions
have their own custom install programs), but provided you can get past the
install, this guide should be invaluible.  (If you can't get past the install,
go to the distributions website (www.debian.org, if you're using debian) and
read their installation manuals).

Do yourself a favor, and PRINT IT OUT.  It comes in postscript format, so you
should be able to just drag-n-drop the postscript file to your printer.

In fact, since each distribution installs in its own way, reading this book
brefore the install should give you a fairly good clue as to how to get through
just about any distibution's installation.

Also, this book covers general Linux concepts.  If you get stuck on something,
like configuring your CD-ROM drive or printer, you shouldf go to the HOWTO's,
which are also availabel on the www.linuxdoc.org site.

Hope this helps,
        Bryan