Potato networking

I just installed Potato using the Potato boot disks, and found there's no more /etc/init.d/network for setting things up. As it stands now, the machine is using DHCP to get settings. It appears this also overwrites custom changes to /etc/resolv.conf at the very least.

Does someone have a sample of /etc/networking/interfaces which allows for static configuration similar to what used to be done in /etc/init.d/network?

If I were in charge of Debian, I'd go back to doing this the old way....

Thanks