Re: X display

Elsadig Khanagi wrote:

> Dear,Sir
> How are you ...... Thanks lot for all group members, I go one step and I
> need more help.
> 1-I install Debain Linux 2.1r2, and I got Debian Login :,,,But when I login
> and write  startx to load graphic interface... I have error 111
> failed to connect to X srever... I didn't have a server I install in one PC.

If you have loaded the xf86setup package, xserver-vga16, and the xserver for your
graphics card (could be xserver-svga - the most common); then you can run the command
XF86Setup and then configure your system. Before you start, you must know your
graphic card or chip and the horizontal/vertical frequency of your monitor. Then you
can run startx.

> 2-I install it in 9 PC's with different answers(y/n)? sometimes yes and
> sometimes no. ( what is olwm and many other apprev...I done no!!)?
> 3- When I write dselect & select Update.. you need a separate packages.cd
>     where is the _non-free_Packsges.cd...I done no where is it? ....
>      and no way until I answer none 3 times .

Go ahead and answer none. Non-free is not on the standard slink CDs. You can load
non-free after the rest of your system is loaded and running by using the apt option
of dselect or apt-get. Do a man apt-get when you're ready.

> 4- I need to connect 9 pc as a network I have a HUB and everything..
>      and it have been networked as windows 98...but we need Debian because
> they have UNITS related to UNIX  for 9 students...

One of the network experts on the list will have to help you there, I'm a standalone
user.

John