Re: Keeping apt-get, dpkg & dselect in sync

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:27:13 +0100, cjw44@cam.ac.uk (Colin
Watson) wrote:

>As far as I know, you need to do a dselect update to get the available
>file that dpkg uses to be updated. You can do this without going into
>the dselect interface by typing 'dselect update'. As you correctly
>guess, if you do this using dselect's apt method then apt's database
>will be updated too, so if you always replace 'apt-get update' by
>'dselect update' then everything should work fine.

I'd already tried a dselect update before you replied. I'm
left with dpkg reporting:

|zippy:~$ dpkg -l syslog\*
|Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
|| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
||/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
|||/ Name                Version             Description
|+++-===================-===================-===================================
|un  syslog-ng           <none>              (no description available)
|pn  syslog-summary      <none>              (no description available)
|un  syslogd             <none>              (no description available)

A slight improvement, at least it's now found syslog-ng,
which is what I was originally looking for.

Thinking about it, most of what is happening *does* appear
logical. I'm using the apt method with dselect and apt-get.
Those two appear to be in sync. dpkg is the problem it's
way out.

>I'm not entirely convinced this isn't a bug...

Neither am I. Surely apt/dselect and dpkg should use the
same database.

Thanks for the reply.