Re: Mail/news software

Steve Lamb <morpheus@rpglink.com> wrote:

>     Given your description and the fact that you sent with PMMail/2 I
> can say,
> with authority, nothing.  There is not a thing out there that will
> suit what
> you describe nor what you're currently using, at least when it comes
> to mail.
> News apps on the unix side are fine but Mail apps, while powerful as
> backends,
> aren't worth a damn otherwise.  I'll now let people try to prove me
> wrong but
> so far I have not seen a beast which comes close to the usability of
> Windows
> applications.  Sure, they have the power to do some impressive stuff,
> but they
> don't have the interface to match.

I disagree and am continually posting info about an excellent email app
called Ishmail. It was a commercial offerring but the source code has
now been released. It is available on www.ishmail.com

Ishmail is the best GUI email client I have used on any platform. The
interface is very nice, but if you try it, do some configuration first -
the default setup is not as pretty as it could be. I prefer the buttons
at the bottom of the windows rather than at the sides. Which buttons
show and where they are positioned is also configurable.

I like the graphic representation of your folders in the top window. I
like the way new messages in a folder is shown graphically too. I like
the way it handles UNIX file-type mailfolders as well as MH
directory-type folders. It handles MIME attachments well and has a
wealth of configuration options. You can set it up so that it gives you
a different identity for certain messages too.

I use it to view mail which I have already collected using
fetchmail/exim. It injects new mail directly to the MTA. It can also be
used in a more traditional Windows style where it will fetch mail from
POP/IMAP severs.

I could go on, and on and on - I have tried a multitude of email apps
and always come back to Ishmail. All it needs now if for someone to take
on board the source code and maintain it properly.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000