Re: hacked?

"Noah L. Meyerhans" wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, w trillich wrote:
> On the other hand, I do not feel as strongly as other posters that telnet
> needs to be disabled in order to have a secure machine.  Strong passwords
> will work just as well.  I have an account on a large Solaris network
> where telnet has been open for ages, and will continue to be.  The passwd
> program in *incredibly* anal about ensuring that all passwords are
> complex.  To my knowledge there has never been a significant security
> breach on this network.

i was just breezing thru the config files in /etc/pam.d/ and
you can have the password-change routines be just about as anal
as you'd like them to be. (maybe not like blowfish, but quite
sufficient.)

way cool.

so if telnet is relatively secure, how about ftp? which server
do y'all'uns recommend for best security?