Re: Is a cryptic password always necessary?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 r3ck@home.com wrote:
> An easy trick for making a password that's hard to guess but easy
> to remember is to use the first letter of each word in the first
> line of a song you know well.

Get pwgen package; it generates easy to remember (but hopefully difficult
to guess) and also secure (difficult to type and remember) passwords.

BTW, does anyone use MD5 for /etc/shadow? I'd like to use it, but how do
"migrate" from crypt() to MD5? I don't think that just changing the entry
in the config file (/etc/login.conf?) would be sufficient.

>Maybe add your favorite number at
> the end or start.  Course if you're a burnt-out 60's druggie then
> it's pretty easy to guess that the song is Stairway to Heaven :)

So, it would be nicer if you could come up with something more difficult
to guess; having a cracked in system would leave you dazed and confused.

Oki