telnet problems with Debian woody

A friend of mine (as am I) is running Debian 2.1 that has been
dist-upgraded to woody, and while he can telnet into my machine just fine,
I cannot telnet into his, the error received states-

telnetd: getpty: permission denied

the permissions on his ptys and ttys and so on are the same as mine. What
do I need to do to fix this problem? TIA

-- Curtis Hogg

Email 1 - buckminst@inconnu.isu.edu
Email 2 - buckminst@hotmail.com
WWW - http://www.cyberhighway.net/~buckmins

				UNIX Trix

For those of you in the reseller business, here is a helpful tip that will
save your support staff a few hours of precious time.  Before you send your
next machine out to an untrained client, change the permissions on /etc/passwd
to 666 and make sure there is a copy somewhere on the disk.  Now when they
forget the root password, you can easily login as an ordinary user and correct
the damage.  Having a bootable tape (for larger machines) is not a bad idea
either.  If you need some help, give us a call.
		-- CommUNIXque 1:1, ASCAR Business Systems