RE: Installing without rebooting (running the installation proggie from within Linux)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Steven Satelle wrote:

> My understanding is (more from windoze than linux) that installing on one
> hrd drv and using it in a diff system is a bad idea, lots of different

It is often a good idea.  Sometimes, it is the most efficient way to get a
system installed- say if the remote system doesn't have a fast connection
and you don't have a CD.  Unlike Windows, Linux works pretty well
misconfigured.  :} That said, I managed to do the same trick with Win95,
though it did not inspire confidence :}

I don't think the installer will run without a reboot, but you can
probably format the drive and install all the packages onto it yourself.

You could even just make a copy of your own system onto his drive, but
then he would have all your user accounts and things, which you would
have to remove (unless you don't care).

The biggest problem you will have will be with LILO.  Best way to set that
up is with complex LILO magic, or to boot off a floppy on the new system
and then install LILO from there.