Re: which sound configuration utility?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 04:53:35AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> Has anyone seen RedHat's HW detection in action?  It's
> real cool!  I swapped some HW on a system running
> RedHat and rebooted the system.  It automagicly
> detected the new HW (video card) during kernel boot
> and installed the required drivers all by itself!
> (Just like windows!)  This has to be backported into
> Debian!

its just a program called `kudzu' and i disabled it when i had a
redhat system ;-)
i hate automatic crap like that.  (but that's just me)

and `backported' is the wrong term here, that would imply porting a
already existing utility back to an older version of the OS, in this
case there is not even any `porting' necessary since its the same OS,
just get and compile kudzu toss in an initscript and you got it.  (i
presume all it does is muck around with kernel modules and breaks if
you don't compile every single bloody thing in the kernel config as a
module.  I didn't look much into it, all i know is it made the startup
take only a bazillion times longer and was going to screw with my
system configuration without asking/telling me, which is a death penelty
offence on my computers ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/