Re: startup/connection trubble [was Modules & name resolution]

hey john -- thanks for the informative reply!

John Pearson wrote:

> > my syslog was complaining of something quite similar, so maybe
> > you already helped my problem a bit. from syslog...
> > Apr 25 21:29:48 server modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more
> > recent than /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep
> > Apr 25 21:29:48 server insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent
> > than /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep
> >
> > but i probably need more help yet...
> >

> Others have reported similar problems after upgrading to recent
> modutils, and have been told to run
> # depmod -a
> to update modules.dep.  Maybe that will help.
>
> Did your apt-get dist-upgrade complete OK?  Do you see any
> alarming messages if you run apt-get check?  It could be you're
> only halfway through the upgrade.

# apt-get check
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
#

looks clean (but as i recall it took several iterations!)...

> > from /var/log/messages:
[snip]
> > Apr 25 22:03:05 server kernel: Cannot find map file.
[snip]
> > Apr 25 22:03:05 server /sbin/rpc.statd[1901]: unable to register
> > (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp).
> > Apr 25 22:03:05 server ypbind[1915]: Unable to register (YPBINDPROG,
> > YPBINDVERS, udp).
[snip]
> > Apr 25 22:07:12 server modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-18
> > Apr 25 22:07:14 server last message repeated 3 times
[snip]
> > unable to register? invalid argument? missing module?
> > i'm guessing "net-pf-18" is significant... how do i get that?
>
> The "net-pf-18" message is the kernel trying to load the module
> for network protocol family 18, which linux/include/net/socket.h
> lists as "Ash", with which I'm not familiar.  If it represents a
> protocol family that you don't intend to support, or you just
> want to get rid of the messages, add
> alias net-pf-18 off
> to /etc/modutils/aliases and then run update-modules.  I'd guess
> it's something to do with AppleTalk, and I'd avoid getting
> alarmed; the AppleTalk suite includes several protocols, only a
> few of which you are likely to need to talk to Macs on your
> local net.

so that's probably what's interfering with the startup of netatalk.
(i get errors disrupting the appletalk startup phase on the console,
but it seems to work nonetheless. i'm telnetting from upstairs now,
or i'd cut & paste the actual error from on-screen...)

whatever modules ARE working right now seem to be what i need,
so i've added the disabling etc/modutils/aliases line, as you suggested.

but--where'd it go off to? if i do need it in the future, how
can i restore it?

> "Unable to register" sounds like a problem with the portmapper
> (rpc.portmap), which manages ypbind, rpc.statd and other rpc
> services ; is it running?  Don't worry too much about this if
> other things need fixing (unless you rely on yp to get things
> working) - come back to it later, if it's still a problem once
> things have stabilised.

# ps ax | grep map
 9564 ttyp0    S      0:00 grep map
 2206 ?        S      0:00 /sbin/portmap

so it's running. what's it do? (aside from "convert RPC program
numbers into DARPA protocol port numbers", which is geekspeak
for "frob your clavis via frammistat 6.0")

(and rpc is remote-process-call/control, right? aka
one of the universe's biggest security holes? do i need it?)

what's ypbind, by the way? (don't grok NIS either, can you tell?)
how do i find which of these daemons are merely security holes,
and which i need for my purposes? the manpages seem to presume
knowledge of the functions these gizmos provide, of which i have
none... :)