Modules & name resolution

Hello!

I've just installed potato, re-compiled the kernel, and now (some of)
my modules will not auto-load. I can load them with modprobe and/or
insmod. I have to load the driver for my Initio SCSI card, SB AWE32
sound card and RTL8019-based NIC by hand. The question is: why? And of
course: how do I correct the situation?
Also: how (and where) do I supply module parameters for auto-loading?
To load my NIC driver, I have to issue insmod ne io=0x340 irq=10 --
where do I put this info so I don't need to supply it every time? I use
kmod, not kerneld.
In /etc/modutils/aliases, I inserted the following for the sound card:
---
# SB AWE
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/synthfm.sbk
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
alias sound sb
---

Is this okay?

Another question: I used pppconfig to set up my dialup Internet
connection. I supplied the IP address of the ISP's name server, which
was properly placed in /etc/resolv.conf. nslookup works okay, but
nothing else: ping and browsers cannot resolve names. Everything works
when IP addresses are given instead of names.

(I'll download the how-to documents today, promise. :-)

TIA,
Kofa

Homepage at http://www.math.bme.hu/~kofa - For PGP public key: send mail
with the subject PGP Public Key Request or finger kofa@lemma.math.bme.hu