Perhaps I am not understanding this MANPATH stuff

I'm trying to figure out MANPATH and man-db 2.3.10-68.

First of all, for various reasons, my lprng setup is compiled locally,
and runs out of /usr/local/lprng/bin.  It's man pages are in
/usr/local/lprng/man.

I've editted /etc/manpath.config, and told it to map tje PATH entry
/usr/local/lprng/bin to the MANPATH /usr/local/lprng/man using

  MANPATH_MAP     /usr/local/lprng/bin    /usr/local/lprng/man

Similarly, I told it to squirrel away the cat pages in

/var/catman/lprng

with

  MANDB_MAP       /usr/local/lprng/man    /var/catman/lprng

So then I do a 'man lpr' and get

  %man lpr
  No manual entry for lpr

However,

  %ls /usr/local/lprng/man/man1
  cancel.1     lpbanner.1   lpq.1        lpraccnt.1   lpstat.1     pclbanner.1
  lp.1         lpf.1        lpr.1        lprm.1       monitor.1    psbanner.1

So perhaps the manpath isn't right.  So I run the manpath command and
get

  %manpath
  /usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/lprng/man

Looks good, no.  But man doesn't run.  Strangely, however, if I do the
following

  %export MANPATH=`manpath`
  %man lpr
  Reformatting lpr(1), please wait...

Everything I can find in the man-db documentation say's that if
MANPATH isn't set, it just gets the output of manpath.  But apparently
this isn't the case.

Ideas?  I'd like to sort this out since I have a lot of packages
installed like this.

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			PhD. Candidate and Sysadmin
bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept