Re: 486/slink networked with?

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 02:15:00AM -0400, russell simmons wrote:
> I am a newbie, and I have a base install of slink running on a 486 dx33
> with a 210 mb hd and 12 mgs of ram.  I am going to network it with my
> main box soon.  This box is a dual boot windoz/linux install, 166 mmx
> overclocked to 200 with a 5.2 gb hd (1gb for linux), and 96 mgs of ram.
>            I was running mandrake 6.0, but I have rh 6.1 at present.  I
> want to replace it with debian.  Would slink be the best choice for
> compatability issues, or would potato be the wiser choice.

That sounds really bloody close to a box I worked on last summer.
Compaq, by any chance?

I don't know that the distribution will matter much.  I believe I rolled
slink out on mine, but don't see any reasons why potato wouldn't have
worked.  The main issue(s) are that you've got a really gimpy system --
it hasn't got much CPU, memory, or disk, so you're going to have to be
judicious with what you put on it.  This was when I realized the value
of Debian -- it was *very* easy to add and remove packages, and I had to
do this frequently (eg:  offloading emacs to be able to build a kernel
<g>).

What are you planning on using the box for?  If a firewall, have you
considered the Linux Router Project (http://www.linuxrouter.org/).

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/