Re: update-alternatives: bug or misunderstanding?

itz> However, that's not how it seems to work on potato.  I noticed
itz> that after the installation I got /etc/alternatives/awk pointing
itz> to /usr/bin/mawk and /etc/alternatives/awk.1.gz pointing to
itz> /usr/man/man1/mawk.1.gz.  Since I prefer gawk, I did (as root)

itz> update-alternatives --config /usr/bin/awk awk /usr/bin/gawk

Eric> You left out the slave link for the man pages, hence they
Eric> weren't updated.  Reread that alternatives man page (yes, it's
Eric> confusing).

I was under the impression that it was the whole point of this feature
that it would figure that out automatically.  Certainly the system has
enough information to do that, looking at the files in
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.