Re: Modules & name resolution

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 03:02:42PM +0200, Kovacs Istvan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've just installed potato, re-compiled the kernel, and now (some of)
> my modules will not auto-load. I can load them with modprobe and/or
> insmod. I have to load the driver for my Initio SCSI card, SB AWE32
> sound card and RTL8019-based NIC by hand. The question is: why? And of
> course: how do I correct the situation?

I assume you compiled a 2.2.x series.  You have to use kmod, which must
be enabled when you build the kernel.  It doesn't remove modules though,
so you need a cron script.  See <linux>/Documentation/kmod.txt for more
info.

> Also: how (and where) do I supply module parameters for auto-loading?
> To load my NIC driver, I have to issue insmod ne io=0x340 irq=10 --
> where do I put this info so I don't need to supply it every time? I use
> kmod, not kerneld.
> In /etc/modutils/aliases, I inserted the following for the sound card:
> ---
> # SB AWE
> alias midi awe_wave
> post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/synthfm.sbk
> options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
> alias sound sb
> ---
>
> Is this okay?

Can't tell you if the options or post-install are okay, but you have to
run 'update-modules' after editing /etc/modutils/aliases.  It writes
your changes to /etc/modules.conf which is the file that is referenced
when loading modules.

> Another question: I used pppconfig to set up my dialup Internet
> connection. I supplied the IP address of the ISP's name server, which
> was properly placed in /etc/resolv.conf. nslookup works okay, but
> nothing else: ping and browsers cannot resolve names. Everything works
> when IP addresses are given instead of names.

Did you tell pppconfig to use the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf or to
use the dynamically assigned ones by your ISP (if it does this).  In the
first case, ppp does nothing special.  In the latter case, it
temporarily moves /etc/resolv.conf, replacing it with a file containing
the nameserver addresses provided by the ISP.  When the link goes down,
it reverses this process.  Rerun pppconfig to see what you did.  Also,
did you tell it to set the default route?  Look under the "Advanced"
option of pppconfig for some of these items.

> (I'll download the how-to documents today, promise. :-)

Won't help you with pppconfig.  Usually, it's just 'cause you missed
something though.  That tool works great!

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.