Re: General Protection Fault

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 07:57:27PM +0200, Ron Rademaker wrote:
> How do I solve a General Protection Fault (Oops = 0002), I get it when I
> boot with the rescue disk, when trying to install (right after mounting
> the root filesystem (RAM)) it gives the errors, and ends with: Aiee,
> killing the interrupt handler
> If you need more information, I wrote all the output down so I can post it
> if that would help you...

Yes, more information would help.

Can you boot your system normally?

Did you update your rescue disk after updating your system?

Did you reformat any partitions?  The new ext2 format works with 2.2.x+
kernels, but not 2.0.x.  What's your rescue disk kernel?

> The system started giving general protection faults after I upgraded it
> (general protection faults both in linux as in windows) from a P166 with
> 32 M to a amd k6-2 533 with 128 M.

Hmmm...  Can you boot anything with the system?  There are some posts
regarding 500MHz and better CPU problems.  I believe there's a MS
Windows bug WRT 533 MHz chips specifically.  I'd recommend some online
research.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/