LyX crashed and now doesn't work

Hi,

LyX crashed while I was playing with the Math Panel. Now it only sees
two available textclasses in layout/document/class. Both are SGML and I
was using the default article class . I purged and reinstalled LyX, but
there was no change. Here's the error log from trying to generate a dvi
file:

  freefall ~ $ lyx firstlyx.lyx
  LyX: Unknown textclass `article' [around line 3 of file
  ~/#firstlyx.lyx#]
  Processing file firstlyx.sgml
  /usr/bin/nsgmls:<OSFD>0:20:9:E: document type does not allow element
  "ABSTRACT" here
  This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
  LaTeX2e <1998/12/01> patch level 1
  Babel <v3.6x> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
  ngerman, n
  ohyphenation, loaded.

  (/tmp/sgmltmp.firstlyx14979.dir/firstlyx.tex

  ! LaTeX Error: File `article.cls' not found.

  Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
  or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

  Enter file name:
  ! Emergency stop.
  <read *>

  l.2 \usepackage
                 {linuxdoc-sgml}^^M
  No pages of output.
  Transcript written on firstlyx.log.
  file:firstlyx.dvi: No such file or directory

The article.cls file does exist:

  freefall ~ $ ll `locate article.cls`
  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        19639 Mar 23  1999
  /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls

Should I try to purge/reinstall the tetex packages or does anyone have
a better idea?

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com