Plextor CD-ROM (was: cd-rom jitter)

Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:

> I only get + or ! when the disks are severely ruined, normally all bright
> smileys. I've an ultraplex scsi cdrom and a ide plexwriter, both perform
> great under linux and windows, so I guess something is wrong at your
> side. Is it a scsi? is it properly terminated etc? does it work under
> windows? (try http://www.ExactAudioCopy.de for a windows variant of
> cdparanoia) is the cd impecable?

This happens with *any* CD, even brand new ones. I have Tekram DC-390F
for a scsi card. I think that there is no problem with termination, as
everything (the CD-ROM, CDR, and scanner) connected to the card
functions properly.

Eventually the CD-ROM extracts everything perfectly, but those ":-|"
have been annoying me. I have a feeling that the CDROM's firmware
might be buggy. I got this 12/20 Plex a year ago (retail box). When I
got it Plextor already had the Ultraplex out, so the model was kinda
old when I bough it.

I think that I ought to contact Plextor's tech. support. I have heard
that they are usually very good about replacing drives with buggy
firmware (provided that it *is* buggy).

I have no idea how the drive performs under Windows. (I boot there very
rarely only when I absolutely have to.) I might as well try the
proggie that you recommend the next time, though, thanks!

> > Can anyone define `jitter' as applicable to a CD-ROM? (or direct me to
> > a resource where it's explained)
>
> IIRC
> jitter in this context means that rereads of the same part of an audio-cd
> gives a series of samples that are slightly out of pace, some missing or
> extra at the start and end. But the plextor shouldn't have this problem,
> unless the disk itself is bad.

So I have heard, and that's why I have chosen Plextor over others.

Thanks for your reply.
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.