Re: cd-rom jitter

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 04:15:32AM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> When using cdparanoia, it *always* shows ":-|", which stands for
> "Considerable jitter", and often ":-/". I've been wondering, while
> having a Plextor CD-ROM, am I getting worth of what I have
> payed. Anyone extracting with mostly ":-)"?

I only get + or ! when the disks are severely ruined, normally all bright
smileys. I've an ultraplex scsi cdrom and a ide plexwriter, both perform
great under linux and windows, so I guess something is wrong at your
side. Is it a scsi? is it properly terminated etc? does it work under
windows? (try http://www.ExactAudioCopy.de for a windows variant of
cdparanoia) is the cd impecable?

> Can anyone define `jitter' as applicable to a CD-ROM? (or direct me to
> a resource where it's explained)

IIRC
jitter in this context means that rereads of the same part of an audio-cd
gives a series of samples that are slightly out of pace, some missing or
extra at the start and end. But the plextor shouldn't have this problem,
unless the disk itself is bad.

--
groetjes, carel