post-delivery mail filtering

I would like to be able to take an existing mail spool file (e.g.
/var/spool/mail/USER) and pass it to slocal for processing.  If I simply
do this...

cat MAILFILE | /usr/lib/mh/slocal -user USER

...all the messages get interpreted as one big message (no surprise
there, as slocal is designed to be run from .forward).  So, is there a
way to split the mail file into individual messages and filter them
through slocal?  Or perhaps there's a better tool for filtering in this
manner.

Thanks.

--

Brian J. Stults