Re: OpenBSD Secure Shell

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ling.ucsc.edu> writes:

> When I did an upgrade against `froozen' today, the post-install script
> for OpenBSD Secure Shell hung. PS reports it as a zombie process. The
> last message to the console was:
>
> Unpacking replacement ssh ...
> Setting up ssh (1.2.3-2) ...

1.2.3-3 fixes this.

In the mean time, you can Ctrl-C out of the postinst script, and
apt-get will either set it up correctly the second time through , or
you can select the configure option from dselect, or run:

  dpkg --pending --configure

> Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
>
> The server was not started. (I had answered NO when asked if I wanted the
> server configured with the SUID bit set.)
>
> I was able to fix things (I think---haven't tried it much yet)
> by running dpkg --configure ssh ,

Yup, that'll do it.

It's because sshd doesn't close its file descriptors, which while
wrong didn't used to cause problems, but debconf notices and hangs.

Cheers, Phil.