Console problems...

OK, here's my problem:  I'm currently running the Woody release, and
have managed to cause a rather interesting problem:  Although my syslogd

and klogd daemons are running at startup, the system logs themselves are

not being written - in fact, the log messages are displayed to the text
console... for instance, when I log into a regular text-console (non-X),

I am greeted with a PAM module message, as well as a login record - the
exact same as I find in my /var/log/syslog.0 file.  And, the date stamp
on my /var/log/syslog.0 file has been unchanged since April 9th -
dispite multiple reboots (I use Windoze for games...)  Another
interesting side-not is that Xscreensaver (and the KDE screensavers)
will 'save' the screen - but when I choose 'lock screen' - they both
just save the screen and do not lock the screen...

While a somewhat minor problem as far as functionality goes, this is a
rather troublesome security issue, as well as simply annoying due to the

fact that my system isn't working correctly...

Now, this is what I did (I think) that caused the problem - I tried to
install the KDE-Corel packages (From the Corel web-site).  Now, there
were some conflicts in dpkg that kept them from installing it... and, I
just moved back to the packages available from the KDE site...  I
thought everything was OK until I saw the logging behavior.

I'll supply any more additional information upon request...

Thanks!

Troy
  Telford