Re: What are the most common causes of linux system hangs?

> > With that in mind, does anyone have any personal experience concerning
what
> > the problem usually is in these cases? Motherboard? RAM? Has it ever
helped
> > anyone to *under*clock the CPU?
>
> I was having some problems like this last week and it turned out that I
> had set some resource limits for my own account too low.  The console
> was dead as a result, but I could still reach the machine over the
> network and reboot it remotely.
>
> Can you get to the machine remotely when yours locks up?

Nope. Nothing. No ping, no disk activity.... we're talking massive gunshot
wound to the head, here....

> Also, you should take a look in your /var/log/* files...

I will. However, I've generally found that, in cases like this, the logs
contain nothing unusual. The machine runs fine... and then, pip! It's almost
as if someone turned the CPU speed down to 0MHz.

> What kernel version are you using?

2.2.14-3, stock.

> Are you running X when this happens?  etc.

Nope. The fanciest thing I'm doing is running netacctd to record all of the
network traffic.

Also, I just tried new RAM, and that didn't solve it. I think I'm going to
try underclocking the CPU next. If that doesn't do it,  I'll switch CPU's.

- Joe