Re: fixing netscape's super ugly fonts..how?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 11:32:03AM -0800, Christopher S. Swingley wrote:
> > To fix this, and some related Netscape brain damage, create a file
> > /etc/X11/Xresources/netscape, with the following lines:
> >     Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   05
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks a lot for these X resources for Netscape.  Do you have any
> idea how to control the fonts that Netscape uses for displaying the
> menus and other non-web page text?  Seems like there should be a
> X resource for that too.

Several of the submenu fonts are covered in the resources file provided
previously.  As I prefer having my X resources managed uniformly, I've
created (or modified -- don't recall) a seperate file, xfree86-common,
as follows:

<begin xfree86-comon>
! /etc/X11/Xresources/xfree86-common

! load color-specific resources for clients that have them
#ifdef COLOR
*customization: -color
#endif

! make Xaw (Athena widget set) clients understand the delete key
! this causes problems with some non-Xaw apps, use with care
! *Text.translations: #override ~Shift ~Meta <Key>Delete: delete-next-character()

! Use fixed fonts for all menus and stuff.  Mostly affects Motif and
! Lesstif apps.
*fontList:              fixed
*XmTextField.fontList:  fixed
*XmText.fontList:       fixed
*XmList*fontList:       fixed
*popup*fontList:        fixed
<begin xfree86-comon>

IIRC, I isolated most of these widget references with editres, while
poking through a couple of X clients.  I still get the odd app which
doesn't listen to me (RealPlayer, IIRC), but most behave themselves.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/