Re: 2 newbie questions

Peter Solinsky wrote:

> I have a boca-research modem which is PNP compatable but debian can't
> detect it.  Do I need to manually set the jumpers for and open COM and IRQ
> for it to be recognized?
>
> 2nd:  I am having trouble getting xwindows to work properly.  When I run
> xf86config and set the card for SVGA, my monitor blanks and I get nothing,
> the main problem is I cannot get linux to reboot without entering xwin at
> startup which means my screen blanks at startup and I can't rerun config
> w/o wiping everything and starting over.
>
> I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> --
Dunno about the boca-modem. could it be a winmodem?! there's
a list of "real" modems somewhere, maybe thru Debian.org, I
forget.
Sure you can get linux to reboot without running (a
functional) X: Linux has 7 "virtual terminals", which you
can switch between using Ctrl-Alt+F1-F7. X runs in F7, so
you just do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to your text-terminal.
>From here, you can try another conf of the xserver, or
"shutdown -h now" to turn the box off (you have to be root
to do this).
The Xserver can be killed with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
Don't need to reboot to rerun config or start X. Reboot is
for winblows. The only time you need to reboot a linux-box
is if you've built a new kernel.
Sounds like you need to learn some basic Unix, I've had to
do quite a bit reading myself. I was in your situation about
a year ago ;-)
If you tell us what video-card /monitor you're trying to
setup, maybe someone here can give a hint or advice. Chances
are, someone's been there...
hth
Vitux

--