Re: Help installing Netscape

In article <[🔎] 38F1AFE0.1CD623B8@1st.net> you wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have hesitated to ask this simple question here, but after quite along
> time, my head is sore from banging it against the wall . . .

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux :)

>    * I  downloaded 16 MB  from
>      ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicaotr/english/4.72/unix/supported/linux20_glibc2/complete_install/
>
>      communicator-v472-export.x86-unknown-linuxglibc2.0.tar.gz
>    * At least it was close to that!
>    * I waited for it to ask me where it would put it, having read that
>      it should go into /tmp. It didn't ask, just started coming at me,
>      so I left it alone. All night.
>    * Now I can't find it. I've tried locate with lots of permutations,

The locate database must be updated.  updatedb will do this for you.
/etc/updatedb.conf has to be configged properly to not exclude the
directory where communicator might have gone.  Another way is to
"find / -name "*communicator*".

There is a communicator packaged for debian in non-free, yes?

>    * I have read with interest the messages to newbies about using the
>      help before writing messages like this, but I actually need more
>      help before I can make us of the help. when I go to /usr/doc and do
>      ls, I do see all the help, but I don't know how to open it.

lynx might work well here.  It's a text-based web browser but
it's good for browsing local doc trees.

You need a directory utility really.  Some good ones are filerunner,
gentoo, emelfm, mc (midnight commander clone).

>    * I have installed Gnome/Enlightenment. Maybe. I have a terminal
>      window glued to the upper left corner of the screen that I can't
>      figure out how to minimize or banish.
>    * There are almost no apps available. Do I need to install things
>      like a word processor and a spreadsheet separately? They aren't
>      part of Gnome?

There is probably no shortcut; you've got tons of reading ahead of
you to get comfortable with Debian, or any Linux really.  Here are
some things that I found helpful,

http://www.debian.org/~elphick/ddp/manuals.html
  - lots of faqs and docs, tutorials
http://www.linuxpress.com/debusered2.html
  - the book "Debian Linux User's Guide"
http://www.penguinteam.org/debian/doc/debian-tutorial/
  - Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation and Usage
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/index.html
  - Learning Debian GNU/Linux

Hope that helps.  Keep your pecker up; it's a lot of fun.

rick