Re: paths (/usr/this, /usr/that)

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:36:35PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John Stevenson wrote:
>
> > /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lbin are the apps/libraries that are specific to one
> > machine, i.e. an application that is installed but is not part of the debian
> > distribution
>
> What about /opt?

/opt and /usr/local are roughly equivalent.

/usr/local is where locally maintained data are stored (/usr/local and
/home are by and large *not* affected by the Debian policy, though
certain directories may be created by an installer.

/opt is for "optional" packages.  Where a small additional utility might
go under /usr/local/[s]bin, a complex package like Oracle, DB2, or SAS
has its own major directory structure.  These *should* install under
/opt (DB2 and Oracle, AFAIK, don't respect this and go where the hell
they feel like going -- though DB2 *does* use RPMs under RedHat as an
install method).

As a practical matter, and to simplify space management, it's often
simpler to throw everything together in one lot.  I create /opt as a
symlink to /usr/local:

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root     10 Dec 29 11:21 /opt -> /usr/local

    $ ls /usr/local
    Download   WP8	  bochs    lib	       man	 share	tmp
    SOffice51  admin  doc	   local       netscape  src	wine
    VMWare	   bin	  include  lost+found  sbin	 stow

...note that /usr/local has both standard (bin, doc, include, lib, man,
sbin, tmp), and additional (VMWare, WP8, SOffice51) subdirectories.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/