Re: paths (/usr/this, /usr/that)

A very simplistic (and rough)  answer would be:

/lib /bin are to do with the real core of unix/linux, like the kernel modules live in
/lib/modules

/usr/lib /usr/bin are the applications/libraries that run on top of the core
unix/linux, things that the users make use of, hence '/usr'

/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lbin are the apps/libraries that are specific to one
machine, i.e. an application that is installed but is not part of the debian
distribution

I hope this gives some small explianation...
Johnny.

Vitux wrote:

> w trillich wrote:
> >
> > my 2.1 cd installed a great deal of stuff under /usr/doc,
> > and the new potato (i.e. 'apt-get upgrade', with
> > /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to 'frozen') puts bunches
> > of stuff in /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > what's the functional or intellectual distinction:
> >         /lib
> >         /usr/lib
> >         /usr/local/lib
> >         /var/lib
> >
> >         /usr/doc
> >         /usr/share/doc
> >
> >         /bin
> >         /usr/bin
> >         /usr/local/bin
> >         /sbin
> >         /usr/sbin
> >         /usr/local/sbin
> >
> > this topic is covered briefly in one-o-them HOWTOs, which i can't
> > find right off hand... (dhelp search for directories? paths?
> > structure? besides, having just reinstalled everything, dsearch
> > isn't finding squat anyway...)
> >
> > some of these are more obvious to me than others; i bet a couple
> > of you newer debian-user subscribers (like me) are interested in
> > this, too.
begin:vcard
n:Stevenson;John
x-mozilla-html:TRUE