paths (/usr/this, /usr/that)

my 2.1 cd installed a great deal of stuff under /usr/doc,
and the new potato (i.e. 'apt-get upgrade', with
/etc/apt/sources.list pointing to 'frozen') puts bunches
of stuff in /usr/share/doc.

what's the functional or intellectual distinction:
	/lib
	/usr/lib
	/usr/local/lib
	/var/lib

	/usr/doc
	/usr/share/doc

	/bin
	/usr/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/sbin
	/usr/sbin
	/usr/local/sbin

this topic is covered briefly in one-o-them HOWTOs, which i can't
find right off hand... (dhelp search for directories? paths?
structure? besides, having just reinstalled everything, dsearch
isn't finding squat anyway...)

some of these are more obvious to me than others; i bet a couple
of you newer debian-user subscribers (like me) are interested in
this, too.