Re: newbie question.

Have you compiled a new kernel or you are using the kernel provided with
the installation? If you are using the kernel with the installation, then
put a line containing rtl8139 into /etc/modules.conf.
Also make sure that the the rtl8139.o file can be found in the appropriate
directory under /lib/modules . It should be found in
/lib/modules/<kernelversion>/net

Robert Varga