Re: newbie question.

okay, I am sorry for having provided incomplete details..

        I am using  Debian  2.1r5  (downloaded  only  yesterday)  on  my
pentium III machine with realtek RTL8139 ethernet card.

        I had installed from floppy earlier.. but probably botched  up a
few things so decided to install from  dos,  following  some  very  good
suggestions I got from this list. But the problem  still  remains  and I
still get Network Unreachable.

#ping 144.16.116.247
PING 144.16.116.247 (144.16.116.247): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote 144.16.116.247 64 chars, ret=-1

        when I do ifconfig I get the following output..

#ifconfig
lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
        RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 frame:0
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overrun:0 carrier:0
        Collisions:0

#lsmod
Modules         Pages           Used by

        lsmod does not give any other output.. does that mean no modules
are installed?

        I didn't do anything spl after all the installation ended.. do I
have to start/configure something??

        I have a few more questions to ask which may be I will  send  in
next mail..

--
Sunil Pandey <sunny@cse.iitb.ernet.in>

If you park, don't drink, accidents cause people.