potato + apache + php 4.0b3-4 + mysql NOT working..

Hello.

i got my system to run apache + php4  it working greate.
I want to access mysql from php, so i installed the php4-mysql package too.
when trying to load the mysql module, i get this message:
Fatal error: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/apache/mysqlso'
- /usr/lib/php4/apache/mysqlso: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory in
/var/www/phillip.phtml on line 6

its looking for mysqlso... ive try to ln -s mysql.co mysql. i got another
error.
ive try o add the line
extension=mysql.so in th php.ini file. the same error...

how do i make the mysql-php modules work?

thanks,
--

    Phillip Neumann