Re: Another install on an old 486

I've got a similar setup, using @Home (cable modem)

> I created a rescue floppy and could not get the installer to recognize
> the CD-ROM.
> So I created the Driver floppy and 8 base floppies necessary to install
> the base system.

Actually, if you're just doing a firewall that's a good start. You could
just use apt-get to install the minimal set of software you need to get
going. Of course, already having the cable/DSL connection makes this
easier...

> During the install, I told the program to include the cdu31a module on
> I/O port0x230.

Any way to verify these settings on the SoundBlaster card? This is one case
where a minimal install of Win9x can be useful. Let it probe for the
settings, then use them in Linux.

> I select CDROM and is asks me to
> insert the CD in the drive and enter the block device name.
>
> What's the block device name?
>
> I tried /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdu31a, /dev/sonycd and none of these worked...

What error does it give? I've used /dev/cdrom with no fuss.

> Is there something else I should try???
> (outside of getting an IDE expansion card and an IDE CDROM, that is)

Just apt-get is FANTASTIC if your connection is reasonable.

Good luck!

- Bob