Re: Another install on an old 486

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Mike Rayle wrote:

> I am having trouble getting Debian to install on my old 486-33.
> I have a Sony cdu31a attached to an ISA SoundBlaster MultiCD sound card.

I'm using a similar setup, except the cdu31a has its own card.

> During the install, I told the program to include the cdu31a module on
> I/O port0x230.

Does /lib/modules/2.2.14/cdrom/isp16.o exist?
That is the module needed to access cdrom's attached to a soundcard.
"grep isp16 /boot/System.map*" should tell you if the code is compiled
into the kernel.

> What's the block device name?
> I tried /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdu31a, /dev/sonycd and none of these worked...

/dev/sonycd

> Is there some other naming convention?

Not that I am aware of.

> I also cannot mount the CDROM... mount -t iso9660 -r ro /dev/cdrom
> /cdrom
> gives me an error message about /dev/cdrom.

/dev/cdrom would need to be linked to /dev/sonycd for this to work.

> Is there something else I should try???

I dunno.

later,

	Bruce