How to implement libiodbc2 into php & apache?

Hi!

I have a problem to implement the libiodbc and I hope that someone could
give me a hint how to solve it!

At the moment, I am busy to set up a Debian-box (distribution frozen) with
apache and php3 that have to have access via php3 to a MSSQL-Server.
Therefore, I installed the
- apache
- php3
- libiodbc2
packages.

How do I have to implement the odbc driver into php3?

Do I have to re-compile the php3 and after that the apache server to get the
libiodbc implemented?
Or, is it better, to install all these packages without debian-support in
/usr/local/...?
But then, it wouldn't make sense to implement the libiodbc2-package into the
distribution, would it?

Could someone give me any hints, how I can re-compile the Debian-files? Do I
have to re-compile the .deb-files (and if so, how?) or do I have to
configure the original files (*.diff, *.dsc, *.orig.tar.gz)?

I am new to Debian, so I don't know how to adjust a pre-compiled package to
my needs.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Stephan Jaeger